Want suggestions on how to make extra money and have flexibility with your acting career?
Well, I think I’ve figured out the way for actors to have that, and I don’t think many people have been talking about it!
Freedom for the Struggling Actor
Making a career in musical theatre or acting involves a lot of money, as we all know. Headshots, classes, lessons, gas (to travel to auditions), workshops, masterclasses, webinars, coaches, airplane tickets, rehearsal bag items (water, snacks, etc.), union dues and probably more that I can’t think of right now!
This career is gonna need some money to fund it, but the question is: What will you do?
You obviously want a job that will provide enough to fund your acting career, but most likely you’re tired of doing the stereotypical job ex. waiting tables or walking dogs. (Not that those are bad jobs but I think most actors are sick of them by now and want alternatives that will fulfill them more!)
You want a job that will let you have:
- Flexibility: If you can’t go out to a last-minute audition with 24-hour notice, then the job won’t work!
- Control: You want the control to live your life the way you want to, on your terms.
- Freedom: So you can travel anywhere you want to! You don’t want to be tied down to working shifts and living the retail life, right? I thought so..
So, we’re going to have to get creative and think: how will you be able to pursue a job with ultimate flexibility?
So, What Do You Do?
This means that you will have to become (drum roll please!) an entrepreneur and make your own business! (Don’t worry, if you really love it, this won’t be too hard for you!)
I get that essentially all actors are also entrepreneurs, since being an actor is a business, but before I created this blog, I did so much research on alternative ways to make extra money and I know that doing a side hustle (that will let you work from home) is the key to gaining more freedom and expanding your career as an actor.
When you create a business that will let you make money from home, you will become location independent and be able to:
- Have the freedom to work on your schedule and on your time
- Travel where and whenever you want to!
It’s going to take some time to build up your side hustle, but I promise you’ll feel so much better for having that flexibility (if you work hard at it!)! Going on that last minute audition for Hamilton, getting last minute coaching for that self tape. Don’t you want to have that freedom to pursue your acting career anywhere and at any time without job restraints?
Work from home hustles are the definite way to go!
(To clarify: this post has a mixture of passive income and active income side hustles. True passive income is not possible but basically, it means making money without much effort on your part. Active income is what most people do, which is trading hours for a salary. I’ve decided to put both types on here to show that there are multiple ways to make money from home)
So, without further or do here are 10 ways to create a side hustle and earn money from home to fund your acting careers and your life. Here we go!!
Side Hustles that Let You Make Extra Money From Home!
- Start a blog: This one is a great one to do (I personally think it’s the best! LOL), if you like writing and helping people. It takes some time, but I’ve seen so many bloggers earn a lot of money from this hustle with hard work. The 3 main ways to earn money from a blog include: (1) affiliate marketing, (2) sponsored posts, and (3) ads. If you stick with blogging, it could become a lucrative online business for you, especially since in the future, it will create (mostly) passive income, which means less hours for you to work! (For suggestions on getting started, I recommend the e-book Building a Framework from Just A Girl and her Blog, a great resource for beginner bloggers. I bought this before I started Actor Habits and it really helped me push myself to make this blog! 🙂
- SEO Consulting: I just recently heard about this and I think it’s totally awesome! By becoming an SEO consultant, you’ll help companies bring traffic to their websites and get more customers to their businesses. If you like techy stuff and working with people, this could be a great side hustle for you. I would recommend checking out SEO Audit Guide for more information.
- Virtual Assistant: Become a virtual assistant involves providing assistance to clients from your own home. It includes doing simple jobs for clients, such as writing emails, scheduling appointments, doing social media tasks, graphic design, and more. If you don’t mind working for someone else, then this could be a good option. This article is a really good resource for finding places to apply for VA jobs.
- Fiverr: On this website, you can do any service for $5 and up. I’ve used Fiverr before, and I really like it! Actors, you can still pursue your career on Fiverr: just advertise your services! If you’re a voice actor or a singer, offer to record your voice. If you want to advertise something else, I’ve literally seen SO MANY services on Fiverr, from setting up websites to fortune telling to relationship advice. I promise, if you have the experience, you can sell almost ANYTHING on Fiverr.
- Etsy: Make jewelry, clothes, or bags? If you have a special skill in creating hand made crafts, then this could be great for you. Etsy is a totally awesome place to sell your stuff since they only take 3.5% of each sale. I’ve heard of businesses going up to six figures! It’s hard work, but if I were good with my hands, I would sign up right away!
- Digital photography: If you like taking pictures, you can make money by selling your photos to stock photo websites! Yeah, you waive all rights to your photos but at least you get some cash! Also, you can become self-employed and do projects for clients. Maybe become a headshot photographer and keep working with actors and actresses? 😀
- Amazon FBA: FBA means “Fulfilled By Amazon”. Making money from Amazon FBA involves selling products while Amazon ships it! You save time with FBA as opposed to Ebay because you don’t have to ship anything to customers! You just find products to sell, ship to Amazon, someone buys your product, Amazon ships it, and then you get the profit from that sale! Here’s a great guide to get started.
- Facebook t-shirt ads: This is a new side hustle that I’ve heard about and I think it’s interesting. It involves putting up Facebook ads to sell t-shirts through Teespring. I’ve heard of someone making over $1000 a week by doing this! I recommend this course on Udemy to get started.
- Freelance writing: This is an oldie but a goodie. Freelance writing involves taking writing gigs from clients. This job will definitely give you the freedom to work wherever and whenever you want. This is a great way to improve your communication skills and can go hand in hand with acting. People make full-time careers as freelance writers, so I know this is possible. I literally just Googled “freelance writing” and found so many options to find jobs, so go there!
- Tutoring: Again, if you love to teach, than tutoring will be totally awesome! Websites such as Tutor.com and Skooli.com will accept people (most likely with a bachelor’s degree). This is a GREAT way to make money but also have the freedom to create your own schedule, so you can work on your own time! Love it!
To conclude this post, I just want to say that doing a side hustle and making extra money is possible, if you just believe in yourself, work hard, and be persistent!
There are going to be people who read this article, take one of my suggestions and start a side hustle but never push themselves or don’t see results right away so they quit! Don’t be that person!
My advice is to start your side hustle but continue your normal job until you make enough money to quit. By that time, you will feel free!
Just keep in mind that results won’t come right away but I promise that side hustles can eventually turn into your full time income without the full time hours. Once you reach full time income you can start scaling your business and handing off daily tasks to other people who will do it for you, so you have more time to do what you want!
I want to thank you so much for reading this article! I hope you liked it! See you next Monday on Actor Habits!
Have you ever thought about starting a side hustle? Maybe working up to full time so you can support your passion for acting? Tell me in the comments below! 🙂
P.S. Here are some bloggers that have income reports. They started from the beginning with $0 and now they have full time online businesses!